Thursday, December 20, 2007

On Fraternity and Sorority

I went to a hospital here in Saudi Arabia, during the treatment of my neuralgia. And, whenever or whom ever I talked to in the hospital, they called me “brother”. Almost every time I need something, I have to start calling them not by the names shown on their lapels, but a respectable “brother or sister”. The manner those words were given and called upon, there is respect in both genders. I remember my “brods and sis” in my fraternity, since we also called everyone as brothers and sisters. Intimate and jolly, my brods and sis in my fraternity becomes my extended family during college. And I wonder where they are now?

Whenever the words fraternity and sorority will be spoken, anybody stranger to the words will always think of young teenagers or students engaging in horrific activities; vandalism, hooliganism, drugs, sex and other outwardly outlawed activities. In the 60’s up to early 70’s, these campus organizations became the venue for socio-political discussions, mobilizing its members to become the more active and vigorous segments of student activism. It was during these times, that most of these solid organizations engaged themselves in extra-collegiate activities. However, many of those whose concentrations were on the academics, athletics and cultural excellence remained strictly on their orientation and goals.

Many times, the frantic and negative belief about fraternities was brought about by the open and heinous crimes committed by some members that many times equated with fraternities. Many people think that gangs and fraternities were the same, only cloaked differently.

Fraternities and gangs were organized in almost the same manner; it differs widely on the concepts, objectives, membership strata and location. Fraternities and sororities were founded and organized, following a framework, common needs and objectives and operating within the limited boundaries of many schools, universities and colleges. Most were named using Greek or Latin alphabets with the purpose of longevity and continuity, a character supposed to be inherited with the alphabet! History had indicated the many people; fraternity members themselves defend the sacred and noble purpose of joining a fraternity (or sorority for the ladies) and cast themselves away from the outlawed and barbaric kind. Mostly, it would be found that among the leaders of the society, there will be outstanding personalities who were at one time or even up to now, boast of being fraternity members themselves. Who could ever believe that even the judges, who judge these fraternity felonies, were themselves fraternity members? Doctors, philosophers, military men, attorneys-at-law, soldiers, musicians, artists, policemen, agriculturists, veterinary doctors, dentists and so many others, were members of fraternities. That depends however, on how their organizations or societies will be classified. Some companies even hired employees whom were their “brods and sis”. An affiliation cultured on common fraternal experiences. Of course, with whom you’ll share the benefits but with no other than a brother, literally.

Myself is a member of a fraternity, the Delta Phi Omicron Fraternity and Omicron Phi Delta for our sister ladies. I was in my third year in college when a very close friend of mine, ask me to join his fraternity. My father previously warned me against joining one, but curiosity overtook me. During the welcome rites alone, I was hit by a paddle. An experience, that divide my sense of reasoning whether to continue or not. How in the hell could a group of intellectual people whom I myself admire, could become hungry lions waiting to devour my flesh. And yet it happened. For the next 5 months, I have to do all of the research paper and templates of the masters. But I cheated them most of the time! Once I made the research for the more senior Masters, I kept myself a carbon copy of the paper. So that, in my senior year I don’t have to do it. I already have one. I pity myself for I have to do the laundry and cleaning of the rooms of some of the Masters. I have to be made a laughing stock even in the middle of the class, and the smiling professor allows it (lately, I found out that he was a member and a master himself). Now comes the final initiation time.

One Saturday morning, I, together with the other neophytes, numbering 13, become the “kalibre .45 batch”. Don’t ask me to tell what happened, but it was a whole day of body punches, I have to put down myself to earth looking for my lost pride. It was a terrible day and a day I will not forget. The next Monday, I can not walk to attend my classes, as my legs turned purple and swelling. Those sons of a ____! How can they do these to me? It was the hardest part and the rest will be reaping time.

I was made to become a more responsible person, dedicated to serve the needs of others, serve and do everything for the good of the organization. My fraternity was made of honorable men and women. Two of my “brods” topped the board examinations for agricultural engineers (just like me taking 15th place). Some became pioneer in tissue research; others became persons in public service. We never had been involved in any campus rumbles, but more on academic rumbles.

Lastly, my father warned me from joining a fraternity, but later on he joined one, The Knights of Columbus, a fraternal association of practical Catholic men. Later on, I joined him and we both became fourth degree members. Names of fraternities do not suggest its well being, but what the men, and women, making it believes and does. Like a cloth that serves a purpose, the kind of thread woven into it makes the difference.

I am forming a fraternity; any body wants to join me?

No comments: